Thursday, February 28, 2008

Too Stern of Virtue


Words of 17th century Moilere

Come let’s forget the follies of our times

And pardon mankind of its petty crimes

Let’s have an end of ratings and railings

And show some lienancy to human failings

This world requires a pliant rectitude

Too stern a virtue makes one stiff and rude

Good sense views all extremes and destinations

And bids us to be noble in moderation

The rigid virtues of the ancient days

Are not for us, they jar

With our ways

And ask of us too lofty a perfection

Wise men accept their times without objections

And there is no greater folly, if you ask me,

Then try to change society.

Like you, I see each day a hundred and one unhandsome deeds

That might be better done

I take men as they are,

Or let them be,

And teach my soul to bear

Their fraility:

But still, for all the

Faults that meet my view

I’m never known to storm and rave like you.

still rise, I will not apologize for anything!


Not a Good Queer NAGQ

No comments: